While time synchronization has always been essential for wireless networks to function, requirements have evolved dramatically as operators increase small cell use and optimize spectrum usage to enable 4.5G, 4.9G and 5G network capabilities. Accurate phase synchronization is now increasingly critical to support new features and services in these networks. For example, coordination between base stations for broadcast video delivery and interference mitigation between macro base stations and small cells in dense deployments drive the need for strict phase specifications.
With technology innovations engineered to address these challenges, Microsemi offers a portfolio of small form factor IEEE 1588 PTP grandmasters to deliver a cost-effective, precise timing master exactly where it’s needed, such as small cells and backhaul to eNodeBs for wireless service delivery at the LTE network edge. Microsemi’s IGM 1588 grandmasters integrate both GNSS antenna and GNSS receiver, eliminating the need for an outdoor antenna and cabling.
The IGM’s latest software enables deployment of these smaller grandmasters at the very edge of mobile networks, lowering operator costs and improving customer experience with enhanced coverage and performance. Easily installed indoors or outdoors, in-building or in cabinets or huts, the IGM grandmaster family serves operators preparing for 5G through densification, along with enterprises seeking enhanced indoor capacity and coverage on LTE and LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) networks.
Why Choose Microsemi IGM Grandmasters?
- Single device integrating IEEE 1588 PTP grandmaster, GNSS receiver and GNSS antenna
- Reduced installation costs and simplified cabling
- Unique indoor capabilities for enhanced indoor GNSS performance without GPS/GNSS roof antenna
- Plug-and-Play features reducing deployment time and cost (discovery, configuration, TR-069 for auto-configuration)
- Deployment flexibility (small size, wall or ceiling mount, indoor or outdoor)
- Best-in-class synchronization solution optimized for indoor, location transfer, management
- GPS and GLONASS capabilities – Beidou, SBAS, Galileo-ready
The IGM grandmaster family is part of Microsemi’s broad portfolio for mobile network deployments which includes:
- Timeprovider 5000, the industry’s most deployed, highly scalable IEEE 1588 grandmaster which can act as backup to IGM in case of GNSS outage by providing PTP input to IGM grandmasters with asymmetry compensation;
- TimePictra, a modular web-based synchronization management system that scales and evolves with operational requirements, monitoring the IGM family, as well as other Microsemi IEEE 1588 grandmasters;
- Indoor managed Power over Ethernet (PoE) midspans, which enable network upgrade to support Power over Ethernet with virtually no downtime. The family includes products with port densities of up to 24 ports and 60 watts per port, to power small cells and the IGM-1100i; and
- Outdoor PoE switches, hubs, midspans and surge protectors, a complete outdoor PoE portfolio, essential for the deployment of the IGM-1100o.