NEW! Now supporting the latest ITU Approved Phase PTP Profiles including IPv6 operation
Carrier grade, packet-based timing and synchronization
The TimeProvider ® 5000 is a carrier grade IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol (PTP) Grandmaster with additional capabilities, including NTP and SyncE, that provide a flexible technology suite to match the synchronization needs of evolving networks.
The TimeProvider® 5000 is an IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol (PTP) Grandmaster Clock that enables communications service providers to build a stable, robust and reliable network infrastructure. An NTP server option and expansion shelf capabilities that include PTP and Synchronous Ethernet make this timing and synchronization system capable of supporting network needs today and in the future. A carrier-grade design with flexible capabilities is vital to enable circuit to packet network migration for high-speed data services and wireless backhaul, and to deliver 3G, 4G/LTE, LTE-Advanced, 5G wireless, as well as broadband multimedia to the network edge and customer premise. The latest release includes IPv6 options for PTP and NTP services, as well as expanded GNSS support options including GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, and Galileo.
High Performance for Carrier-Grade Applications
TimeProvider 5000 combines the functionality of a highly accurate IEEE 1588 Grandmaster clock with E1/T1 and 10 MHz/1 pps I/O ports in a high-performance, yet compact 1RU footprint. It adheres to the latest IEEE 1588-2008 (PTPv2) standard including the provisioning of telecom profile extensions for telecommunications based applications, and meets applicable performance requirements of the ITU-T G.8272 standard for a Primary Reference Time Clock (PRTC).
Fully Redundant Equipment, High Network Availability
With redundant Input/Output Clock (IOC) cards, TimeProvider 5000 provides protection far superior to “network redundancy” models that must re-acquire synchronization from a different Grandmaster located elsewhere in the network. Modular construction also yields better serviceability and a lower mean-time-to-restore than sealed, self-contained units.
High Client Capacity, High Message Rate
TimeProvider 5000, with hardware-based time stamping and packet processing, delivers high client capacity at full rates: up to 1,000 clients at up to 128 messages per second. The synchronization performance does not degrade with increases in the number of clients until this capacity limit is reached.
Improved QoS and Packet-Based Network Performance
The TimeProvider 5000 is designed from the ground up to handle the most stringent timing requirements of today”s emerging packet-based, next-generation networks. The TimeProvider 5000 enables service providers to roll out feature-rich, lower-cost, packet-based services without sacrificing timing accuracy or quality of service.
Optional Quartz and Rubidium Oscillators
TimeProvider 5000 is available with both quartz and rubidium oscillator options enabling service providers and network equipment manufacturers to choose the optimal level of holdover based on network performance, applications requirements, and equipment cost targets.
NTP Server Option
The TimeProvider 5000 PTP Grandmaster offers a licensed software option to enable carrier-grade, hardware-based NTP server capabilities, allowing network providers to simultaneously support both PTP and NTP clients in the network. The NTP server is capable of supporting up to 20,000 transactions per second.
TimeProvider Expansion Capabilities
TimeProvider 5000 serves as the base unit in a “rack and stack” configuration with TimeProvider expansion shelves. Up to ten expansion units can be deployed in any combination. With two high-precision DTI ports for inter-shelf connections and redundant power connections, the expansion units also provide the performance and protection needed to ensure maximum service availability and network uptime.
TimeProvider Expansion 10
The TimeProvider Expansion 10 shelf adds up to 16 Gigabit Ethernet ports that simultaneously support PTP and SyncE. The PTP profile is aligned with the developing ITU standard for time and phase. With SyncE to frequency synchronize the transport network and PTP for time and phase to base stations, the TimeProvider Expansion 10 is a complete solution for mobile networks as they evolve to technologies such as LTE-TDD and LTE-Advanced.
TimeProvider Expansion 10 uses hardware-based time stamping and packet processing to support up to 400,000 PTP multicast clients. The SyncE implementation includes support for the Ethernet Synchronization Message Channel (ESMC).
TimeProvider Expansion 30
Even as networks transition to packet, the need to synchronize elements using the frequency and interfaces of the traditional TDM network remains. The TimeProvider Expansion 30 shelf is equipped with twelve E1/2.048MHz and twelve 1 PPS/TOD output ports, allowing carriers to provide synchronization for all of their equipment from a single TimeProvider stack.
TimeProvider 5000 Features
- IEEE 1588-2008 Precision Time Protocol (PTP) Grandmaster with support for PTP telecom profiles
- High capacity (up to 1000 PTP clients)
- High PTP message rate (up to 128 messages per second)
- Redundant hardware: inputs, outputs, clock, and power
- Hardware-based packet processing
- Quartz and Rubidium holdover clocks options
- User configurable PTP profiles with IPv4 and IPv6 support
- Supports the latest ITU PTP profiles including ITU-T G.8265.1, ITU-T G.8275.1 and ITU-T G.8275.2
- ITU-T G.8272 PRTC
- Synchronous Ethernet support with optical SFPs
- Single or dual GNSS inputs with GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and Beidou options
- Input source priority auto-switching
- E1/T1 inputs and outputs
- Optical and electrical interfaces (100/1000 Base-T, 1000Base-SX, 1000Base-LX)
- 10 Mhz / 1 PPS support
- PTP and carrier grade NTP server (optional)
- PTP probe for PDV measurement (optional)
- Up to 500 VLANs per port with licensed software option
- Management via CLI, SNMP v2c/v3, TimePictra® PTP probe licensed software option
- RoHS compliant
- TimeProvider Expansion platform support
- Compatible with TimeProvider 2700, TimeProvider 2300, IGM1100 series, Microsemi embedded PTP clients, and standards-based 3rd party PTP clients
TimeProvider 5000 Benefits
- Fully interoperable with standards based clients
- Highly scalable PTP grandmaster supports 1000 PTP clients at full 128 messages per second rate
- No performance degradation as client capacity grows
- Simultaneously supports both PTP and NTP elements in your network
- Capabilities grow with TimeProvider expansion products
TimeProvider Expansion Features
- Up to ten expansion shelves in any combination with a TimeProvider 5000 base unit
- Up to 16 Ethernet ports per TimeProvider Expansion 10 shelf with PTP and SyncE support
- Twelve E1 and Twelve 1 PPS/TOD ports per TimeProvider Expansion 30 shelf
- Redundant, high-precision shelf interconnection
- Compact 1RU footprint
- RoHS compliant
- Premier Holdover Performance with Microsemi Rubidium Technology
- Improving Mobile Bachkaul Network Reliability with Carrier Class IEEE 1588-2008 (PTP)
- Best Engineering Practices for Cable Timing Architecture – A study of DOCSIS 3.1
- Timing for cRAN Fronthaul LTE
- Synchronization for Next Generation Networks—The PTP Telecom Profile
- IEEE 1588 Precise Time Protocol: The new standard in time synchronization
- Best Practices for IEEE 1588/ PTP Network Deployment
- Microsemi spells out the timing architecture required for 5G
- Published by: ThinkSmallCells
- Author: David Chambers in conversation with Joe Neil